The target audience is considered as a one of the most important essentials, to ensure the success of your online business, especially with the difference in customers’ tastes, requirements and interests.
Among the wide spread of brands and the variety of their products and services, which requires each brand to define precisely its target audience in line with the nature of the products it offers.
Target audience definition:
They are a group of people or users, who they may show interest in your products, offers, or services, and they are more likely to be transformed from regular users, into actual customers of your business.
Reasons for defining your target audience:
- The ability of focusing on a specific and a little number of target categories, and advertising in a more accurate and effective way.
- Allocating resources and funds to relevant consumer groups.
- Fixing the brand’s name, and firming up its voice with the audience and customers, thus increasing the impact of the brand’s promotion on social media.
- Facilitating communication with them, and obtaining their confidence.
Questions that help to define the target audience:
Who are your current audience?
Discover and monitor who interacts with your social media posts, and follows your business, and who trusts and comment on your own content, then define the key characteristics such as, language, age, location, interests, etc. to really know who are your current audience, that is associated with your brand and its services.
What kind of information they are looking for, and why?
Your understanding and knowledge of the type of information that customers are looking for and want to find, will help you to define your target audience, by defining their requirements and needs, and how to deal with them through social media.
With the need to adapt to the social media content strategy for your business, in line with the various reasons, for which customers are following you.
The most common reasons to make consumers follow the brands on social media, which are:
- Always be informed of company news.
- The entertainment.
- Knowing about new products and services, as soon as they are released.
- Learn about discounts offered by brands to their customers, through social media.
Where does your target audience get this information?
Social media platforms have a wide variety and difference among themselves, in terms of how they attract users, therefore, it is logical that we see a distinct difference in the audience and interests of each platform.
To keep in contact with your right audience, it is wrong to launch an advertising campaign for your brand on Facebook, for example, and your target audience is on Instagram, or Twitter.
With the need to follow a clear strategy in presenting your content, to meet the requirements of the audience, answer their questions, and provide them with the information they are looking for.
What are they talking about?
An important question that informs you about, what your audience is talking about and keeps you away from expectation, as you will know what your target audience hate and what they like and prefer.
What are challenges do they face and how to provide the solutions they are looking for?
What do they think of your brand and products?
Answering this set of questions, will help you to cover all the gaps that are bothering your target audience to fulfil their desires and satisfy them.
By “Sprout Social Listening Tool” you can track and follow conversations related to your brand, know what the audience prefer, what do not, and much more.
Who do they trust?
Trust is one of the most important elements, that must be taken care of, and strive to build with the target audience, to ultimately lead them to purchases, and not just like your brand.
Therefore, think about how to deal with your target audience, and how to respond to their messages, if they are negative or positive, and you have always to provide them the solutions, in case they have any problem with your business.
It may be good to show them a previous successful experience with a client, to prove to them the extent of your credibility and transparency.
Identify competitors for your business and how to deal with them:
After defining your target audience, and how to deal with their problems they face in your business, you can now identify your strengths and weaknesses, especially after you have a clearer idea about the best strategy in dealing with customers, to put your business in the right place that satisfies the target audience.
That is why, it is necessary to follow your competitors, and know what they offer to their customers and target audience, which will help you to define accurately your target audience and how reach it
There are some questions that you should ask yourself, to determine the competitive advantages between you and them:
- What kind of consumers are your competitors targeting?
- How do they reach their target audience?
- What are the gaps in their strategy?
- How many times they posted on their business social media accounts.
- What are the main benefits they seek to achieve, through marketing?
- What improvements they follow to make their content works better?
Sprout Social Listening Tool can also help you to answer these questions about your competitors, to understand opinions and conversations about their brands.
Best practices that guide you to your target audience in the right way:
- Set a clear and accurate strategy for creating your content that attracts your target audience to interact with it and share it.
- Watch for captions that catch their attention.
- Determine the best timing for publishing, with the time of their activity and participation.
- Create content for the different stages in the way of purchase, for example, entertainment content is good for drawing attention in the awareness stage, while you need cultural and educational content in the thinking stage.
- Take into consideration, all the ideas that your target audience might think of.
- Conduct opinion polls and ask questions, in order to communicate with them and give importance to their opinions.
The process of defining your target audience may seem complicated at the first, but as you follow some important instructions and steps, this matter becomes simpler and easier.