Internet may keep your words forever, which makes you feel concerned about it, and with a strong desire to find what you had previously posted, and had deleted it from social media platforms.
In many cases, Twitter users seek to search for their old tweets for many reasons, some users may want to know how much engagement a tweet had, or they reveal one of them, to be proud of something they have done in the past.
Perhaps the importance of returning to old tweets comes from the ability to delete the offending things on their reputation, and get rid of them, before others discover them, and use it against them.
This article will introduce you to how to find old tweets and the pros and cons of deleting them.
How to find old tweets:
There are several methods you can follow to search for old Tweets:
Use advanced Twitter search to find the Tweet you want:
Use the search bar at the top of the Twitter homepage, to search for anything you want to find.
The most popular tweets on Twitter will appear on the primary results page, click on “View” next to “Search Filter” on the right of the screen, then click on the “Advanced Search” button that is in front of you.
On the advanced search page, you can search for very specific ranges of Tweets; here you search for tools “People”.
Enter at least a word in one of the “Word” fields to start the searching process, then click the button on the bottom of the page.
When you see the results page, you can delete any of the individual Tweets that you find, by using Twitter tools.
Using the All My Tweets tool:
All My Tweets Tool gives you all posts on Twitter in plain text with links to individual Tweets.
To get started, go via your browser to all my tweets.net, login and give the permission to the app to access your Twitter account.
After logging in, type a username into the search box that is shown in the image below, then hit the “Get Tweets” button.
The tool will start by loading all the Tweets you have posted in reverse chronological order.
Move to the bottom of the page to keep the tool loading.
You can easily read the complete timeline record, or you can use the text search function in your browser, by pressing (Ctrl + F in Windows, Command on macOS).
This is to speed up searches for specific terms on the page.
When you find the Tweet you want to delete, click on the icon on the right side of the text to go to the Twitter page and access this Tweet.
Then use the tweet list to delete.
Download the full Twitter archive:
Twitter allows you to download every bit of your data, but this process is a little complicated and not easy or simple.
Log in to Twitter, then click on your account icon, then click on the “Settings and Privacy” button.
It takes a little time to be delivered to you, as you will receive a zip file on the email, and it should not take more than 24 hours to arrive.
Click on the download link in the e-mail, where the web browser will download the ZIP file, then work to decompress the operating system to extract the file and find all the data associated with your Twitter account, among the many files, that interest you:
(direct-message.js, Lists-subscribed.js, like.js, Lists-created.js, tweets.js)
After opening these files, you can use the text search tool to search for the terms you want.
After you find the Tweet you want to delete, you need to enter the timestamp in the adjacent “created_at” box.
Benefits of deleting old tweets from Twitter:
- Get a new start without changing the email address, by deleting everything from your account.
- Change your opinions and ideas about a certain topic over time without accusing you of hypocrisy.
Delete all tweets that you posted during your adolescence, that embarrass you or make others feel that you were less mature at that time.
- A certain category of business owners rely on monitoring and spying methods on other accounts before they are appointed, so do not let them find anything that may harm you.
- If you previously worked in e-commerce, and now you work for a non-profit organization, so it is a good to delete old tweets, that are related to your current work’s field.
Cons of deleting old tweets from Twitter:
- If you delete all old tweets, your followers will notice and become suspicious of what you previously posted, even if you did not post anything offensive or harmful.
- You can never recover deleted Tweets.
- Mass deleting of old tweets may lead to the loss, for example of some of your memories with friends, which makes you losing emotional posts.
- Deleting Tweets related to a belief that was prevalent, or those carrying a typographical error, may cost you a lot of your own